A little about this blog:

Unless you're my mom or grandma you probably stumbled across this page accidentally and are wondering, what am I reading? (That is...if you bothered to read at all). This is a blog about my Fall 2014 Semester at Sea Voyage. As you may imagine traveling around the world in a cruise ship with 600 other college students was a decent experience. Inside these rambling paragraphs I try to pass of as blog posts you'll find some cool stories, travel tips, and general insight on life (world travelers are incredibly wise, just ask us).

Disclaimer: You'll find some mild foul language in the posts. Cut me some slack, it's nice to write something I don't have to hand to a professor.

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Turkey Day from the oceans off of Cuba

Happy Thanksgiving to all the folks back at home. While you guys are cooking turkey, watching football, and eating until you can't move I'm studying for an evolution quiz. On the bright side it's like 80 degrees and sunny and you guys have a blizzard so life isn't all bad. 

Definitely missing everyone back in the states extra today. On the bright side I am now officially on Eastern Standard Time which means that home is rapidly approaching. I'm not sure that I'm ready to leave Semester at Sea but I know I'm ready to see everyone. How am I supposed to be expected to stay in one place for more than 4 days at a time? 

Today is my first, and hopefully last, Thanksgiving away from home. I'm going to miss watching the games, the dog show (dad I hope the beagle takes the prize this year), the parade, all the great food, and of course family. 

Being away from home has made me realize that I have so much to be thankful for. Especially this year, not getting to experience a real Thanksgiving I might actually have the most to be thankful for. In addition to everything I already have in my life and all the people in it, I've added so much more this semester. I have all my new friends and all these incredible experiences that I could have only dreamed of. In under four months I've left the country for the first time, visited a Russian palace, seen the Eiffel Tower, rode a camel in the Sahara Desert, eaten pasta in Italy, and slept on a hammock in the Amazon rainforest. Then in two days I'll be in Cuba. I'm so lucky and so thankful for everyone who has supported me in this adventure.

So even as I sit here procrastinating on my schoolwork being pissed off because my Turkey dinner isn't going to be as good as nana and mom's and I don't get to go to grammas for dessert with the rest of the Hancock fam, there is so much I have that other people don't so I can't complain.

Love you all at home, see you before we know it! 

4 comments:

  1. We love & miss you too girl see u in 11 days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching, Tori! Can't wait to see you. You were missed! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We missed you bunches!! When you get home I will make oysters just for you!! Love you Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely said Tori and from reading your blog it is certainly the experience of a lifetime !!!!!

    ReplyDelete