A little about this blog:

Unless you're my mom or grandma you probably stumbled across this page accidentally and are wondering, what am I reading? (That is...if you bothered to read at all). This is a blog about my Fall 2014 Semester at Sea Voyage. As you may imagine traveling around the world in a cruise ship with 600 other college students was a decent experience. Inside these rambling paragraphs I try to pass of as blog posts you'll find some cool stories, travel tips, and general insight on life (world travelers are incredibly wise, just ask us).

Disclaimer: You'll find some mild foul language in the posts. Cut me some slack, it's nice to write something I don't have to hand to a professor.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Spring Breeeeeeeak...I mean Barbados.

I really don't have much to say about Barbados. It was a beautiful island, even with the torrential downpours we endured on the entire first day. For some reason, I think Semester at Sea didn't expect us to take this port as a pre-Spring Break and just party the entire time. Hey, we are legal.

This one's gonna be a quick one, but realistically the people reading my blogs don't care too much about what we did in Barbados so I'll just give a quick summary.

Day one we got off the ship and after like 2 hours trying to get through customs we were able to go to our villa we had rented. There was some miscommunication between the ship and customs in the country so they didn't think we had permission to stay off the ship which was annoying to say the least. But, in the end, they let us go. We got a cab and he drove us to our place while apologizing the entire way that it was raining out. When we got there we asked him to come back in a little while because some of our friends had rented out a bar to celebrate their 21st birthdays. He didn't even make us pay for the first ride right then, instead we'd just pay him when he took us to the bar. Barbadian's are really trustworthy.

The bar was super fun, it was outside right on the beach. It was still pouring when we got their and we paid our entrance fee which got us free drinks until 7 at night, a meal, and full use of all their activities on the beach which included a rope swing, water trampoline, swimming with turtles (couldn't do that cause of the rain) and a whole bunch of other cool stuff. It was such a blast, it even stopped raining a couple hours in. We left a little before it ended and went to a grocery store to pick up groceries to eat while we were staying in our villa.

The next morning we woke up and had breakfast and the girls I was staying with went to the beach across the street while I waited for my friends Ashley and Ayah to come over from the ship. It was pretty nice out. When they got over we ended up spending the entire day sitting around inside of the villa and it was great. We didn't even walk the ten feet to go lay outside by our little private pool. We literally just sat around. Not one regret. We didn't do anything at all that day, we had homemade mac & cheese for dinner then sat around the table until we went to bed.

Our last day in Barbados we checked out of our place in the afternoon and went shopping a little. I also had to go to a bank to exchange money to take to Cuba. It was our next stop and we weren't allowed to use American cards there so whatever money we came with to exchange was the only money we'd have for our four days there. That took well over an hour, island people are just so slow it's almost painful. Once I had finally gotten my money I grabbed a cab back to the ship. I spent my last hour before we had to be on the ship at the bar outside the cruise terminal enjoying my last bits of wifi with my fellow shipmates before returning to America (no wifi in Cuba).

A little later I got in line and got back on the ship on our way to our last country, Cuba.

No comments:

Post a Comment