A little about this blog:

Unless you're my mom or grandma you probably stumbled across this page accidentally and are wondering, what am I reading? (That is...if you bothered to read at all). This is a blog about my Fall 2014 Semester at Sea Voyage. As you may imagine traveling around the world in a cruise ship with 600 other college students was a decent experience. Inside these rambling paragraphs I try to pass of as blog posts you'll find some cool stories, travel tips, and general insight on life (world travelers are incredibly wise, just ask us).

Disclaimer: You'll find some mild foul language in the posts. Cut me some slack, it's nice to write something I don't have to hand to a professor.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Sea Olympics

If you know anything about me, you know that competition is my life. Aka Sea Olympics was basically my dream come true, the entire ship pitted against eachother to see which sea would come out on top. Unfortunately, the administration on the ship is super into community building and "sportspersonship" and "it's not all about winning." Don't get me wrong, I totally respect that but c'mon it's Olympics for a reason, someone's gotta come out on top, not everyone in life gets a trophy. Regardless of the fact that we weren't super competitive Sea Olympics was my favorite day at sea thus far. I was also one of the four captains of my "sea." We are the Yellow Sea, each section of rooms is a "sea" on the ship and has an RD (resident director) and is given a name and color. As Yellow Sea, surprisingly our color was pink, jk yeah we were yellow.

The Olympics took place on our study day between Brazil and Barbados. My day started pretty early, I got up before 8 to have breakfast with my ship family before the day officially started. I wanted to get some work done before 1 when the games would officially begin. Unfortunately, they decided to have a drill at 9 in the morning. Everyone had to go to their cabins and cover up (for these drills you need to wear pants, long sleeves, shoes, and a hat). The people who wanted to spend their study day sleeping in we're shit outta luck, at least they got to sleep in later than last study day when the crew woke us at 7:30. We all filed outside to our areas, it was super humid out, I know I, along with others, felt pretty sick after the drill from standing outside in a massive pack of people in 80 degree humid weather. It was almost an hour from the time it started until the end. 

After the drill I went to meet with my dance crew because we were performing in the lip sync as the last event. Yes, I somehow have had to perform dances twice in one year in front of crowds of people. Why is this happening to me? Who knows, but I'm sick of it. On the bright side, we heard that the other teams were really good and taking it seriously so we were just messing around with it. At 11, our whole sea which is only 68 people, went to the 7th deck (pool deck) to take our group pic.Yellow Sea down on deck two is the smallest of all seas onboard the MV Explorer. We all decked out in yellow and painted yellow war paint all over our bodies. 

There was a little free time after that until opening ceremonies which started at one. A little before one we all filed into the union and sat in sections with our seas. Everyone was trying to pitcher eachother, even us on the little Yellow Sea which is tough being outnumbered by probably 30-50 people on each other sea. We didn't even fill up a full section in the place. The day started with announcements from the RD staff, each sea presented their banners, and then each sea did an organized cheer on the stage with a group of 20 at most. 

I had some time before my first event so I went around to watch some of the other events going on and cheer on the other kids competing. Eventually I had my first event which was the orange pass, this was 7 of us in a line passing an orange along using pretty much just your neck. We came in fourth, not overly happy with that but gotta move on. Right after that one I had to compete in the hula hoop circle where we hold hands in a circle and pass the hula hoop around it without letting go. Fastest time wins. For this one we got third, getting better.

At this point I was already kinda tired. It was hot and running around the ship is exhausting. Luckily as sea captain I had my shift to check participants from yellow into their events. We were in tymitz square, right near the middle of the ship and people would come let me know they were going to their event. It was so peaceful there, definitely a nice little break. 

By the time my shift was over it was time for synchronized swimming, everyone packed around the pool to watch the performances. I had a great spot until someone from my team grabbed me because they needed an extra body for tug of war. We ended up getting killed in our first match, we weren't upset though since our team was kind of just thrown together and we wanted to watch the performances anyways. I only missed a few people go, there were some really funny routines. It wasn't a very hardcore event. Once that ended it was time for a break for dinner. I wasn't feeling too great, the ship was rocking like crazy all day and I was feeling pretty sea sick. I couldn't eat too much and I had to go meet with my lip sync group one more time so we could run through our routine. 

After meeting for our dance for a quick run through, all the captains had to meet up on the seventh deck for the final captains event. This consisted of the four captains taking part in mini versions of the days events or other mini events. It started with a four person orange pass, then one of our guys did a matching game, once he finished our next guy had to put on a crew jumpsuit and hula hoop ten times in a row, then I did a wheelbarrow race with our other girl captain which went around the outside of the pool in a semicircle. Then lastly we ended with a round of flip cup. There were some technical difficulties on our group putting on the jumpsuit so we ended up getting fifth. It was a really fun event though so it's cool. 

It was now time to get to the union for the last event, lip sync. We went second to last so we watched 5 seas perform some like America's Best Dance Crew shit while we're like the Bad News Bears. Ours was a disaster, but in a really pathetic and funny way. Aside from the whole performance part, which I hate because nothing says anxiety like dancing in front of the entire shipboard community, it was my favorite thing. In hindsight we may have done better if we had practiced in the union as opposed to on deck two only because the rocking from deck 2 to 6 is massively different. Oh well, I think we are the only group that didn't have anyone quit or hate eachother so go us, we also managed last place which was pretty sick. 

In the end the small but mighty Yellow Sea came in 3rd place, not too damn shabby if I do say so myself. Imagine if we had trained? No competition. The SAS Seahorses, who are the professors, lifelong learners, children, etc. came out on top. It was such an awesome day, I wish I could relive it over and over. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like u had a blast! We missed u at home but glad ur having fun! ❤'s Auntie & Briana!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! How does it feel to be last? Hancocks don't deal well with this!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had fun. I know you did not mind not winning everything! Love you Nana!

    ReplyDelete